Friday, March 17, 2006

If you liked 'The Da Vinci Code'...

If you liked Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code like I did and Angels and Demons, too, here's a list of titles in the religious/historical thriller genre Brown popularized that we can add to our reading list and recommend for purchase. This is the part I like being a librarian - getting to read the books I want without spending a cent.

I've also been closely following the progress of the copyright infringement case two authors, Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh, who wrote the non-fiction book Holy Blood, Holy Grail, filed against Brown. The two authors alleged that Brown copied some materials from Holy Blood, Holy Grail and used in The Da Vinci Code. Read the update here.

For all its worth, I liked The Da Vinci Code because is was well researched. Reading the book is like taking a crash course in art and church history that would have been otherwise boring had I been sitting in a Humanities class. Honestly, I don't remember anything from my Humanities class back in college. It didn't help that my professor was named after a famous Renaissance painter. Another thing I like about the book is that one of its characters include a librarian who played a great role in helping Robert Langdon unlock a clue, which I couldn't say the same of Harry Potter where Rowling portrayed a stereotype librarian shushing the trio of Hermione, Harry and Ron.

No comments: