Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Librarians stressed?

I was surprised to read this article from BBC: Librarians 'suffer most stress'.

In a study that will be presented in a conference in Glasgow, it was found out that among firefighters, police officers, train operators, teachers and librarians, librarians were the most unhappy, greatly stressed out and prone to be absent from work.

The librarians surveyed complained about their physical environment, the repititive nature of their job, and how they felt they had little control over their career.

If there was something that stressed me as a librarian that would be the people I work with at the library but not the work. Gosh, I've been a classroom teacher and one of my most unforgettable experiences was suffering from migraine for two long weeks as a result of reading term papers full of grammatical errors. The only time I remember getting a migraine as a librarian was when I was faking it so I can go on sick leave.

Maybe, just maybe, our British counterparts don't know how to have a good time after work or even while at work? Brits are known for being formal and all, maybe they need to loosen up a bit. Being in control of one's life does not guarantee a happy and worry-free life. Sometimes we have to learn to let go and accept everything that comes our way.

No comments: