Monday, October 10, 2005

Establishing and maintaining relationships in the library

Filipino Librarian Von listed 5P's in marketing libraries. Zarah, School Librarian in Action likewise shared her thoughts on the matter and even expounded on a 3-part post on why a librarian's image is everything. I might as well add another P to Von's list and to the growing discussion on marketing the library- Personal relationships with clients. And you start by knowing your clients' names.

I'm not good at remembering names but I remember the faces of my users especially my sukis and make it a point to greet them or acknowledge them with a smile or a nod everytime I see them on or off campus. And when they drop by my office I engage them in small talk on top of discussing their AV needs. I do the same for teachers who I consider the bridge between us and the students. Providing current awareness services to them is not enough. Short of begging them to drop by the library, I cordially invite them to see the latest addition I have for them in the collection and of course, the small talk helps. But I'm not perfect. I also have my cranky days when I'm having PMS, my period, and sigh, even bad hair days.

When a relationship has been established, give them service par excellence and by word of mouth, they'd come to you first in trickles and before you know it, you've got your hands full.

Zarah mentioned in one of our conversations that some librarians think that they're in ivory towers, unreachable. This reminded me of Rapunzel who lets down her hair only for the witch. Are we sometimes like Rapunzel who selects whom to serve?

Let's put to good use the units in Psychology we had in college to market not only the library but ourselves.

Category: The Profession at Large

No comments: