Thursday, August 04, 2005

Besides watching movies

I work with two technicians at the Audio-Visual Center. They take care of the technical stuff like audio/video/multimedia setup and operating, troubleshooting, maintaining, and repairing all the equipment that includes OHPs, slide projectors, LCDs, mixers, amplifiers, speaker systems, and computers. I, on the other hand make sure that the Center runs smoothly: approving reservations for venue and equipment; acquiring, processing, cataloging, and encoding into the database AV materials; providing guidance to students and consulting services to faculty on the appropriate AV material to suit their needs; and from time to time become a technician myself when their hands are full.

Before my stint at the AV Center, the only thing I knew about AV equipment was to operate them. But ever since the transfer, I haven't stopped learning. Now, I can sit inside the control booth of our mini-theater and be able to operate everything in it - consoles, mixers, and all - without the help of a technician; convert analog recordings into digital using a converter; set up multimedia equipment; and best of all, produce AV materials. And best of all, I now know the difference between brightness and resolution in projectors; a VGA and RCA cable. And with the variety of projectors I've seen, consider me an expert on LCDs.

I used to think that I wouldn't be able to handle all these equipment but I had to force myself and I haven't looked back.

Outside of this, I teach Library and Information Science subjects (Info Tech & AV Resources) at Philippine Normal University where I graduated with my bachelor's and graduate degrees and write a bi-weekly column and product reviews for Manila Bulletin TechNews Supplement.

This is me and these are what I do on top of being a mom, a wife, a daughter, a friend, and a Catholic.

No comments: