Thursday, January 28, 2010

Missed opportunity

Yesterday, the TV set was tuned in to TFC (The Filipino Channel) and a segment of Kulilits was on. I wasn't really watching it because I was busy playing with my toddler. But what caught my attention was when the camera panned around a room that looked like a library. Cutie little Bugoy was indeed in a library and I watched with bated breath on what was going to happen next. The sight of a library in a children's show truly got me excited!

But I set my hopes too high because right after Bugoy's initial spiel telling the viewers he was in the library, the lady sitting behind the counter, whom I assume to be a librarian, stood up then bent over to where Bugoy was and gave out a loud "Shush"! By golly gee, that sure made an impact on me! I was shocked to say the least.

After recovering from the initial shock, I was still keen on what was going to unfold. So the camera pans out to a lady sitting across the library then back to Bugoy. The camera follows Bugoy as he walks down the room towards the lady. I was thrilled with anticipation thinking to myself, "Ooh, I hope she's a librarian." So when he approaches the lady and greets her, her name and position flashes on the screen. And guess what, another surprise - she was a Reading teacher!

I can not, for the life of me, rationalize why the segment producers could not have asked the school librarian (the segment was shot in an exclusive girls school in Quezon City) to be part of the segment. I mean, who could better talk about library policies than a librarian! I don't have anything against a Reading teacher if she was talking about a particular book or something, but she was discussing library policies! Bugoy was asking all sorts of questions regarding the various signs in the library like why do students need to be quiet and why they can't eat or drink inside, that sort of stuff. The teacher managed to answer all his questions (of course everything's on the script), but still, I took it as an affront on librarianship.

Having said that, it just annoys me that the school's library administrator didn't scream in protest at their exclusion at what could have been a golden opportunity at promoting the library to young people at that and projecting a positive image of the librarian. At this point, I wouldn't even want to know who the library administrator is and be disappointed it's someone I know.

2 comments:

Zarah C. Gagatiga said...

hi peach. saan kaya pwede makakuha ng info sa show na yan? sino ang head writer at producer? kung TFC yan, i assume na abs-cbn ang network.

Peachy said...

Hi Zarah. It's an ABS-CBN show alright. Nag-attempt ako maghanap ng mga details na hinihingi mo bago ko gawin yung post but they were mostly press releases and fan pages. Yung multiply site ang official page nung show and I have to register with the site even if I already have a multiply account.

The show airs on Monday mornings here which I can't watch coz I'm at work and they only show segments of a show throughout the week.

I actually wished you were in the segment rather than the reading teacher hehe...