Thursday, October 30, 2008

Volunteer Tutor Program: Days 2, 3 & 4

The second session (15 Oct.) was on cross-cultural communication. It was kind of review for me bringing back memories of when I taught English in university.

Although we discussed the same principles of communication, I got a whole new perspective on it and realized that the methods I used before wouldn't be useful in this situation where my prospective student has zero or very little English speaking background.

I totally missed day 3 (21 Oct.) because I was down with a terrible cold and in the process missed the activities and the opportunity to know my student. But I was back for day 4 (28 Oct.) and finally had the chance to have a look at my student's profile. So yeah, I'm looking forward giving her a call and making my first visit.

Meanwhile, our discussion for this day centered on planning our sessions with our students and preparing lesson plans. Again there was this nostalgia of years gone by and yet I was still learning something new.

Two more sessions to go and my Wednesday evenings will be back to normal again.

No comments: