Thursday, October 09, 2008

Volunteer Tutor Program: Day 1

Three weeks ago while waiting for my sons during their swimming training, my husband and I were browsing through the posters in the leisure centre's bulletin board. I came upon an AMES announcement for volunteer tutors to help newly arrived migrants settle in Australia by helping them learn the English language. I pointed out the ad to my husband and without saying anything to him he told me to go ahead and apply. So I made the necessary email, got an appointment for an interview, passed it and the police check, confirmed my attendance to the training sessions and I was on my way to becoming a volunteer tutor.

Last night was the first of a 6-day once-a-week two-and-a-half hour sessions and it was fun and educational. Initially, I was focused on the training itself totally forgetting that there were going to be other voluteers attending. It was only when the other volunteers started arriving (I was there first arriving 30 minutes early) that I realized that yes, it was a great opportunity for me to meet people and make friends with them, people who more or less share the same values I have (otherwise they wouldn't be volunteering would they).

Since it was the introductory session, there was the customary getting-to-know-you activity where we introduced ourselves to another volunteer and had a quick chat about ourselves and why we volunteered. So it was rather uplifting that a lot of us wanted to give back to the community and help others. FYI, there was a number of us who are migrants ourselves.

And because we will be paired with adult migrants, we were given background info on adult as learners and were made to do an activity that focused on ourselves as adult learners. It was truly an insightful activity. Credit goes to Sarah, our lead facilitator who was so good at waht she did.

At the end of the session, I've made a couple of acquaintances and am certainly looking forward to eventually building a relationship with them over the next few weeks. Margaret, whom I met on my way out of the room best summed up the session: "I was suprised at the number of volunteers who showed up. It kind of gives hope to humanity." Couldn't have said it any better.

No comments: