Wednesday, September 03, 2008

On Chrome: Google's New Browser

Google's new browser, Chrome, was all over online news sites yesterday and I couldn't help but download and install it at once. This kind of reminded me of the time Mozilla's Firefox was first launched a couple of years ago and writing a review of it in Manila Bulletin.

If there's one thing I can say about Chrome is that it's a reflection of one's browsing habits, very plain and simple. It's free of clutter - no menu bar, no links bar - and the address bar doubles as a search bar. I find that most of its features are similar to Firefox. But what I like best with Chrome is it's incognito browsing - a stealth setting that does not log browsing and downloading histories - which suits my needs since we at the library share a computer at the Help Desk. Nice icon, too.

However, as with most apps in beta, Chrome is not without its glitches. For instance, Gmail does not load completely and I get an error page accessing Blogger, which is kind of puzzling given that these are Google apps.
So much for the hype but given that it's still in beta, I'm looking forward to more things to come from Chrome.

2 comments:

Libroman said...

Hi! I've been using Google Chrome since it was released and I still like it.

I'm a librarian in Cagayan de Oro. Check our website: https://sites.google.com/site/misorlagroup/

Peachy said...

Hi Librarian :)...thanks for dropping by..

Know what I completely forgot about Chrome until I saw a prompt in my Gmail that using it could make Gmail faster so I came back to using it just a couple of minutes ago ;)

BTW, thanks for the link and I visited your site and what can I say but I think you're doing a very good job, excellent even. I wish your group could sustain the effort even when you're no longer in the board. Good luck!

peachy