Friday, May 25, 2007

My Mother the Tourist

Yep, my mom's here. She's on her third week of a 6-month stay with us; enough time to see me through the last trimester of my pregnancy and childbirth. She's all the help I'm gonna need.

She's enjoying her stay so far although she hasn't seen much of Melbourne yet because since she'd been here, we've been to one birthday party to another every weekend and she's just so thrilled to meet fellow Pinoys. And she can only sigh, "Kainan na naman?". But my husband, who has been a very indulging son-in-law, takes her around the shopping centres and marketplaces whenever he has the time and she's just delighted at the sight of fresh fruits and vegetables. And everytime they go out to buy something, my husband always reminds her to stop converting into peso, otherwise she wouldn't be able to buy anything.

The cool climate and clean fresh air, to her, is a welcome respite from the summer heat of the Philippines. Funny thing was, the first few comments she made on arrival was "Hindi naman pala masaydong malamig dito" (It's not as cold as I expected). We simply laughed at her comment and told her to just wait. And there she was a couple of days later already wearing three layers of clothing and a beanie inside the house. 'LOL'.

On our way home from the airport, her two grandsons didn't lose any time telling their lola to cook their favorite food. And that is what she has been doing for the past three weeks - stuffing us with great food! And we haven't eaten take away food since she's been here. My two boys are just so happy their lola is here, they're just all over her. The three of them even share one bed using the cold weather as an excuse, haha. And of course, the doting lola couldn't be any happier.

My boys have their own plans of where to take their lola: to the Melbourne Zoo, to the Melbourne Aquarium, and to the other animal sanctuaries in Victoria but knowing my sons, she knows its more for them than it is for her.

We've planned a lot of trips for her: come winter to the snowy mountains an hour's drive away from us and in spring to the tulip festival and to the Royal Melbourne Show. But what I'm certainly looking forward to is spending a day with her on my day-off Friday next week.

So, does she miss home? I wouldn't know for sure but if the following conversation is any indication you be the judge. While finishing up with dinner last Sunday, I told her "Tawag tayo sa bahay" (Let's call home), to which she replied, "Wag na, wala naman akong kailangan e" (Don't bother, I don't need anything from them anyway).

No comments: