Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Apologies

That was the heading of the first slide of my power point presentation for my first library instruction this school year.

I apologized to my students (there were around 16 of them) because I was going to bore them with library-related stuff and requested them to bear with me. And I think this started me off on the right track because by the time they have settled and read what was flashed on the wall, they were all laughing and up to the end of the session they indulged me with their attention. It helped, too, that I placed animation to the presentation where there was none previously. (Someone else prepared the ppt for use by all the trainers.)
After hearing my colleagues' feedbacks on how their library sessions went - the students looked bored was the most popular one - I just had to think of a way to get their attention. And with my apologies, I not only got their attention but also managed a few chuckles and smiles as the session went on.
All in a day's work. I have another session tomorrow and Friday and I'm looking forward to doing my apologies again.

No comments: