Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Holiday blues

I'm just glad the holidays are over. The moment the second week of December came and Christmas parties were held, I somehow suffered a bout of depression. I had this urge to write about how I was going to miss Christmas in the Philippines but decided not to add to the literature on how sad it is to celebrate Christmas away from the Philippines. Suffice it to say that I share the same sentiments of other Filipinos abroad who were not in the Philippines for Christmas. Iba talaga ang Pasko sa Pinas.
But we did have a white Christmas after all (2005 was one of Australia's coldest Christmas in summer) even for just a few minutes with hail blanketing the streets and my sons were all too happy to hold ice as big as peas in the palm of their hands. (I actually prayed that the ice didn't get any bigger so as not to damage properties). The hail and rain in some parts of Victoria and snow in the mountains, although unexpected, was very welcome in light of the bushfires that have been occurring around the country for more than a month now. A welcome reprieve for the brave firefighters who got the chance to celebrate Christmas with their loved ones.
Looking back at 2006, I had a blast for the first half of the year professionally and personally while the second half was like a rollercoaster ride with the ups and downs of adjusting to life in Australia. And with a new baby to look forward to in 2007, life here won't be more colorful.
New life, new job, new baby - what could I ask for more? A plane ticket to spend the holidays in the Philippines with new baby in tow won't be such a bad idea.

No comments: