Monday, January 22, 2007

Celebrating the Eucharist the Aussie way

Each time I go to mass on Sundays, I couldn't help but miss how the mass is celebrated in the Philippines.
Masses in the Philippines are very visual and lively never mind if the choir sometimes sings out of tune. Eucharistic ministers and lectors/commentators have their own black & white attire which lends an air of formality to the celebration and not to mention the beautiful floral arrangements that adorn the altar.
In contrast, masses here are not as lively because not all masses have choirs and is devoid of the visuals I have mentioned above. But I'm proud to say though that a Filipino choir regularly sings at our parish church. Masses here lack some of the formalities Filipino masses have. We recite the Nicene creed (which I haven't committed to memory yet) and kneel throughout the consecration until the Great Amen. (Anyone who attends mass at San Sebastian Church know what I mean.) We also recite the old version of the Lord's prayer which I never get used to saying. And most of all, Eucharistic ministers and lectors/commentators wear anything they please. Yesterday I was shocked to see the man giving communion wearing cargo shorts! I thought the attire was totally inappropriate.
After trying to get over my shock, I realized that it didn't matter what the person giving the host was wearing but what he was giving. I guess I have yet to adjust to the Catholic way of life here where rituals and visuals do not take centerstage.

No comments: