Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Do note fear tomorrow

This is not a doomsday advice. I actually thought of placing a colon between 'note' and 'fear' for added drama but that wouldn't do justice to the man who wrote these words.
Though Dean Alfar strongly suggested (or would pleaded be more appropriate?) to his audience, that included me, during his presentation at the 2nd iblog Summit not to quote him on his typo but this is too good to pass up on so Dean, if you're reading this, I'm sorry.
I have not seen a more animated speaker than Dean and I'm soooo glad I chose the Art & Literary Blogging Track over the Legal Track. Ang dami kong natutunan sa kanya. And I hope I get to practice some of the tips he gave. On my way home from the Summit, I almost missed my stop because my mind was churning out one topic after another. Ganun katindi yung epekto ni Dean sa kin. He virtually unlocked a part of my brain that was just waiting to be opened and for that I thank you. I have always believed I lacked the capacity for creative writing having confined myself to journalistic and academic writing but having listened to Dean, I guess all I have to do is to keep on practicing. And before I called it a night I was able to come up with seven, yes, seven topics!
My friend Zarah was also to deliver a talk on "Blogging as a Teaching Tool" and we were exchanging SMS of all days, Good Friday, regarding her presentation. I sensed her anxiety and assured her she was going to be all right. But after listening to Dean, this was all I could say to her in the hallowed hall that is the ladies room just before I entered the cubicle: "Ngayon naiintindihan ko na kung bakit ka anxious."
I will be writing more about the iblog Summit in MB this Monday but I leave you with these words from Dean: "Remember the past. Work today. Do note fear tomorrow". But what really struck me was when he repeated a number of times "Kung kaya ko, kaya nyo rin". Encouraging words from a man who has won eight Palanca Awards.

No comments: