Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Driving and the Filipino psyche

I have been driving myself to work for the past two weeks accompanied by a professional driver and have managed to bring myself and the car to school without a scratch.

While concentrating on my driving, I also observe my fellow drivers and here are things I noticed although these are really nothing new:
  • Taxi and jeepney drivers are selfish drivers. When they see a slow moving vehicle (not necessarily me), they grab the earliest opportunity to overtake or make a quick cut. No wonder they get involved in a lot of minor accidents.
  • There are a lot of impatient drivers out there. When the light turns green, these drivers honk their horns immediately if the car in front has not moved an inch, which I find crazy.
  • Drivers in the opposite lane who overtake and occupy the lane I am on tend to stop when they see I'm a lady driver and go back to their right lane. It worked all the time.
  • Pedestrians also beat the red light.
  • Cars I've seen with lady drivers do not look well maintained.
I haven't been to many places yet (I'm saving on gas expenses) and I badly need to practice how to park properly. But the experience has proven to be liberating and empowering.

No comments: