Thursday, November 03, 2005

The week that was

After the forum on The Role of Librarians in Information Literacy in a Borderless Society" last October 27 where Zarah and I were resource speakers, I took some time off to enjoy the semestral break and not blog about the event at once. The time off allowed me to reflect on the tremendous task that lies ahead of us who are advocating for information literacy in the country.

There were only a handful of participants, public school librarians in Manila mostly and a couple of members of the Book Talk Society of the Philippines, because something went awry with the memo that came from the superintendent that was released at 5 pm the day before the event. Thus, most of the librarians were informed of the activity on the day itself and they were not prepared, to say the least.

What would have been a big step towards information literacy awareness had the school librarians been able to attend hardly made a ripple with the attendance. I can only second guess when another forum on information literacy could be organized and that would entirely depend on the conference chairmen of the various professional library associations. Call me pessimistic but I don't see one in the near future.

But I'm thankful that Dr. Dylan Dizon, Director of Educational Outreach through eLearning has agreed to my including a module on some information literacy skills in the modules I'm doing for them. Meantime, I feel that I just have to keep on blogging and writing about it because that is the only thing I can do at the moment to promote information literacy.

Category: IL & IT

No comments: