Thursday, November 24, 2005

EVAT and libraries

Our library budget and those of other libraries as well are also affected by the imposition of the Expanded Value Added Tax early this month. While prices of books are already VAT-inclusive other materials like audio and video materias and equipment are not.

That means LCD projectors that costs anywhere between 40 to 70 thousand pesos would be 10% more expensive with VAT likewise other equipment like computers, AV equipment, etc. And with our meager budget, what is their left to purchase? Well, we can always settle for second hand equipment but then again our experience proved that it wasn't cost effective because the equipment broke down one after the other only after a year of use.

And with the unbelievable price of instructional videos on DVD, I don't think many libraries could afford them.

Some belt-tightening measures would be a good idea but haven't we been working on a tight budget the past few years with the declining enrolment? I not only speak of our school but this is true with most private institutions except I guess for La Salle, Ateneo, and UAP.

But EVAT is inevitable and our hands our tied. Meantime, I have stopped making any purchases and will just wait until the end of the school year for any savings in our budget and only then will I decide what to spend the money on.

On a personal note, the government swore prices of basic commodities wouldn't go up but it did. The fresh milk I usually buy went up by 2.00 so I switched to a cheaper brand. And I don't even have to check each item I buy because I usually buy the same stuff at the supermarket, but my budget for groceries definitely got bigger this month.

I just haven't tried dropping by my favorite salon if they have increased their services, too. But I guess with the EVAT, I won't mind being called a cheapskate if I want value for my hard-earned money.

No comments: