Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Giving off what they have

The Library and Information Science Society of the Philippine Normal University held a career talk this morning and invited me as resource person.

program started later than expected so to keep the audience from getting bored, the emcees decided to call on those who will be providing the intermission numbers. Seated in the front row, I felt nostalgic and recalled the times when I was a student and I actually had to stand up and go to where the registration table was at the back because I was feeling nervous for the students who were about to sing. While they were getting their act together, I paced a small area behind the audience just breathing in and out to relieve the tension. I was mildly surprised to hear their song which added to my nostalgia - Growing Up - the theme song of the movie Bagets, a coming-of-age flick back in the mid-80s.

A student from the audience volunteered to sing acoustic and boy, was he good. With proper training and exposure, he's going to give Paolo Santos a run for his money.

But what was really fun to watch was the storytelling session done by two LIS sophies. I'm sure Zarah, the School Librarian in Action, will be happy to know that there are students who are following her footsteps. I have to hand it to the two girls for animating the heart-wrenching Sandosenang Sapatos into a light-hearted story. I remember shedding a tear or two while reading the book but when I was watching the girls perform, the story took on another dimension.

It came as a pleasant surprise that young as they are, they are already members of Alitaptap. No wonder they were so good at it! They invited everyone to watch a storytelling concert this coming weekend at the National Library of the Philippines.

I'm pretty much excited to see these budding librarians excel!


The Lord is good to all, and His tender mercies are over all His works. (Ps 145:10)

No comments: