Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Upgrading our library system

My boss asked me one time if we need to upgrade our present library system, Athena, to a newer version. We are currently using version 9.1 up from 7.1. We passed up on version 8.1 because there were not many improvements but had to go for 9.1 because of the web server, updates for bookings that were supposedly useful for the AV Center, the ability to make global changes to a field, and attach files to a record.

However, I didn't find the added Bookings menu helpful for us at the AV Center in terms of reservation be it for venue or for materials because the system cannot extract and display data necessary for the efficient management of the AV Center. If I where to use this upgrade, I would be doubling my work and that is not exactly what an automated system is supposed to do. Aside from the web interface that's included in version 9.1, we haven't exactly optimized the other new features of the upgraded version.

So in response to my boss's query whether or not to upgrade our system, I had to ask her back what's new with the upgrades and until I get a satisfactory answer, I vote to stick with the present system. Remember, software developers upgrade as often as possible to make money but it doesn't necessarily mean you always have to avail of each upgrade. The decision to upgrade always boils down to the user's needs.


Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart. (Psalms 27:14)




No comments: